Tea Festival


I honestly really loved watching the tea ceremony. Although I have to admit, I did wonder how anybody would be able to sit still for 4+ hours without moving around and/or talking when 川村先生 was first explaining how the Tea Ceremony worked (I have ADHD, for context;;;;) However, that question was quickly answered when the presentation began. Even though the setting wasn't in the traditional quiet, cozy space with tatami mats, I still felt a feeling of tranquility as I watched the ceremony. It was surprising how much peace, and how little anxiety I felt during the demonstration, as it sometimes feels as if I cant ever be at ease. Even just witnessing the ceremony for those short few moments had left me with a sense of quiet contentment, and so I think I now understand why rituals like these are heralded with such importance and cultural significance.

I especially loved how Andrea explained her love of the Tea Ceremony having to do with the fact that it is "A feast for all 5 senses". I totally agree with her! Although not much talking and excitement is going on during this process, the silence and calm atmosphere only serve to heighten your perception of the things around you. It allows you to appreciate the little joys that are all around us, which is definitely something we could all learn more about.

Comments

Popular Posts